Saturday, April 11, 2009

Introducing "Worldly Christianity"

"Worldly Christianity" will seem like an oxymoron to many readers, but that's what this blog is going to be about. And if it is not an oxymoron to you, it is an unusual subject. You can do a google on the most obscure subject and find thousands of entries. When you google this subject, you only get just a little over 200! Now that spells obscurity!

I am not the first to use the term. The most famous user is Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a German anti-Nazi theologian who paid for his stance with his life. He may have coined the term first. At least, several posts refer to him as the source. In my case, it came as a re-invention that naturally grew out of my Christian worldview.

To be honest, I was shocked when I typed in the term as the name of this new blog. I fully expected the name already taken. Lo and behold, it was still available. No one has registered it as a blog name. I had the same experience some years ago when I chose "SocialTheology" as the name for my website (still there). If there is anything about Christian theology, it is its social ramifications. Yet, no one had claimed it! If there is anything about Christianity, it is its worldly nature. Yet no one has claimed it until now for a name! Now, both of these parallel experiences say something about empirical Christianity, and it ain't purty.

Well, on this blog we're going to explore and expound things about the worldly nature of Christianity. Posts may contain relevant Biblical meditations or comments on current events or contemporary discussions. Occasionally perhaps quotations from others who say it better than I might. Most Biblical meditations will be lifted from a book I published some years ago with the title The Prophet Moses for Today: 366 Biblical Meditations. I'll tell you more about that book later.

You can find out more about me from my website SocialTheology.com.

I also plan to start a blog on Christian-Muslim relations. If you have a suggestion for a catchy name for such a blog, feel free to pass it on to me. Check it out at the temporary (?) title of "Christmus--Christians&Muslims."

No comments:

Post a Comment